As agency recruiters, we are often required to collaborate with multiple stakeholders including hiring managers, HR and Talent Acquisition. This can be incredibly challenging and frustrating – especially when there’s a lack of cooperation or a breakdown in communication.
To facilitate an efficient and successful recruitment process, we must find a way to engage all the stakeholders. So how could you collaborate effectively with your client’s HR, Talent Acquisition and hiring managers? My special guest, Katrina Collier, will answer this question.
Katrina Collier is on a mission to end the collaboration chaos existing between HR, recruiters & hiring managers, to better recruitment and the candidate experience. She is the author of The Robot-Proof Recruiter, a global keynote speaker, and host of The Hiring Partner Perspective (Unedited) podcast.
Episode Outline and Highlights
- [1:40] Quick snapshot of Katrina’s background.
- [5:20] Underlying challenges contributing to lack of collaboration between HR, Talent Acquisition & agency recruiters.
- [9:36] Mindset shift – how to get recruiters to think of themselves as Partners instead of just being ‘servants’.
- [13:40] What to expect when establishing partnership with hiring managers.
- [17:20] The human factor in building trust and attracting talents.
- [21:00] How to be more empathetic.
- [27:10] Getting people to respond and improving your response rate.
- [42:16] “Get off LinkedIn!” – other channels to utilize when looking for candidates.
- [49:30] What should be the structure of a good recruiting email?
- [53:44] Re-engineering your business plans because of the pandemic? Katrina shares her experience.
- [56:39] Hope for Justice – hear about Katrina’s advocacy in supporting this charity.
Challenges When Collaborating for Recruiters and Hiring Managers
From Katrina’s point of view, what are the underlying challenges that can affect collaboration among these stakeholders? Two points were shared:
- Recruiters need a mindset shift in terms of partnership.
- HR tends to be in competition with Talent Acquisition.
How can the above challenges be neutralized? Hear Katrina’s pragmatic advice.
Mindset Shift to Partnership and Collaboration
Equal and mutually respectful collaboration is the ideal scenario for recruiters and hiring managers. Recruiters need to think of themselves as equal partners in the recruitment process, instead of just focusing on a “customer service” type of mindset. Here is what Katrina said, “Get out of your head and into your heart.” It always goes back to the human factor – we are dealing with humans. Human skills are now more relevant than ever! In this episode, you will hear why.
Building and Gaining Trust From Candidates
As we are dealing with human beings, we need human skills to connect with candidates. So what’s the best way to build and gain trust as recruiters? Katrina mentioned important factors such as:
- Empathy and compassion
- Being fearless
- Providing certainty and clarity
Improving Your Response Rate When Contacting Candidates
In line with the above, patience is indeed needed when we seem to be getting minimal response from potential clients and candidates. How do we get people to respond? Katrina emphasized the importance of considering your own profile and brand. Do you look like someone who is worth connecting with and speaking to, someone who could add value and provide expert insight? She also mentioned that although LinkedIn is the mainstream platform when searching for candidates, you should leave LinkedIn. I am sure it was an overemphasis, but to Katrina’s point, there are other platforms we can consider when engaging with talents. On top of that, she also gave pointers on how to rethink your approach in engaging your candidates.
Hope for Justice
Katrina also shared a charity organization that she fully supports, Hope for Justice. She shared how this non-profit organization impacted her life and how it impacts others. If you wish to know more about Hope for Justice, please visit their website in the links below.
This podcast is proudly sponsored by i-intro®.
i-intro® is an end-to-end retained recruitment platform. Our technology and methodology allows recruiters to differentiate themselves from the competition, win more retained business, bigger fees and increase their billings. Be sure to mention Mark Whitby or The Resilient Recruiter for a 25% discount. Book your free, no obligation consultation here: www.recruitmentcoach.com/retained
Katrina Collier Bio and Contact Info
Katrina Collier is the owner of Katrina Collier Limited . She is the author of The Robot-Proof Recruiter, a well-loved global keynote speaker, and host of The Hiring Partner Perspective (Unedited) podcast. Enticed by a newspaper advert in 2003, she started her career in recruitment. She spent 5.5 years in an agency and then 18 months in-house. She started teaching social recruiting and sourcing. Tweeting, blogging and, later, The #SocialRecruiting Show led to unexpected notoriety. This opened up opportunities to work with companies and recruiters all around the world, and even to deliver talks on 5 continents.
She is also an Ambassador for Hope for Justice charity, and you’ll find her on LinkedIn and on Instagram & Twitter @KatrinaMCollier.
- Katrina Collier Limited website link
- Katrina on LinkedIn
- Katrina on Instagram
- Katrina on Twitter @KatrinaMCollier
People and Resources Mentioned
- Hope for Justice website link
- Playing Big by Tara Mohr
- Wayne Daley on LinkedIn
- Mark Lundgren on LinkedIn
- How to Get a Meeting with Anyone by Stu Heinecke
Connect with Mark Whitby
- Get your FREE 30-minute strategy call
- Mark on LinkedIn
- Mark on Twitter: @MarkWhitby
- Mark on Facebook
- Mark on Instagram: @RecruitmentCoach
If you’ve been enjoying the podcast, please take two minutes to leave a review. Your review is greatly appreciated because it helps us attract a bigger audience and help more recruiters. “Support the podcast and leave a review here”.