How to Harness the Selling Power of Testimonials
Do you ask your clients for testimonials?
Sure you might receive a few unsolicited testimonials. That’s nice when it happens. But do you actively solicit them from every client you place with?
As a tactic for winning new business, client testimonials are deceptively simple. But don’t underestimate the impact they can have on your business.
Here are 7 reasons why you need to start asking all your clients for testimonials:
- Testimonials let your clients do the selling for you! Third party testimony has far more impact than any sales pitch. Why? It’s more believable. People are more inclined to believe what others say about you than what you say about yourself.
- You gain instant credibility. Especially if you have testimonials from big companies or well known industry figures. If your referees are credible, you gain credibility by association.
- You harness the power of “Social Proof.” People tend to follow the majority and do what they see others doing. If you’ve got lots of testimonials, people feel safe in assuming that you’ll do a good job.
- When a client writes you a testimonial, they are re-selling themselves on your service! They are reminding themselves why they like dealing with you, which could lead to stronger relationships and more repeat business.
- You move them up the relationship ladder from “client” to “advocate.” When a client endorses your services in writing, they are making a psychological commitment to recommend you to others.
- It feels fantastic to get a testimonial! And when you feel great about yourself, you’re more likely to put in your best performance.
- The most important – but least understood – benefit of testimonials is that they reinforce your belief in yourself and the value you provide to clients/candidates. Even if your prospects don’t read your testimonials, you will be a more confident salesperson because YOU have read them.
So how do you get testimonials? You guessed it … just ask!
Not sometimes, EVERY time. Make it a habit to ask every client you place with for a testimonial. And you can ask your placed candidates for testimonials too!
It’s so easy and the rewards are so great, it amazes me that more people don’t solicit client testimonials. However the fact that few recruiters do it creates an opportunity for you to get an edge on the competition!
Next week, in Part 2 of this article, we’ll be looking at 10 secrets for getting really impressive testimonials.
In the meantime, here’s your homework…
Assuming you agree that getting client testimonials is a good idea, why not get started today? Call at least one client and ask for a testimonial. Go ahead! It’s really not difficult, and I promise you’ll get a buzz when that testimonial arrives in your inbox!